Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Working at being a Proverbs 31 man.

Many in Christian circles are familiar with Proverbs 31 and it's description of an incredible, selfless, hard-working, intelligent, kind, loving, devoted wife and mother.  It's been used in Bible studies and classes for women for years, but I'd like to note that it should be studied by men too.  Slipped into that perfect description of such an incredible woman is this little verse:

"Her husband is known in the gates, when he sitteth among the elders of the land"
~Proverbs 31:23

If you look at this verse in a historical context, this is the description of a highly respected man, who is intelligent, hardworking, well-respected, trustworthy, and wise.  He is a reserved and regarded leader.  This incredible woman that is described in Proverbs 31 is not the wife of an abusive, drunk, neglectful, wasteful, broke, perpetually-out-of-work, self-centered, or lazy jerk. 

I offer the observation that some men I know who complain about their wives and girlfriends may not themselves be worthy of what they think would make these gals better women.  I'm far from perfect, but I try to continually strive to be a better husband and father so that I am worthy of the incredible woman I am blessed with for a wife and the terrific young lady my daughter is becoming.

Guys, when it comes to guns you might want to trade your .44 for a .22, but when it come to gals, I'm keeping my 44.  That's why I'm working at being a Proverbs 31 man, at least from my gal's view.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you again for the reminder. Leaders lead by example, and that starts at home.

    ReplyDelete