Tuesday, January 22, 2013

On a cold, Sunday afternoon...

A lot of folks these days can get a fair bit discouraged by those that can't seem to leave well enough alone. I know not all of you folks who follow my blog are Christians, but I am and that's where my foundation of faith and truth is based. The Good Book is comforting to me at times like these... you know... the times when you just want to turn off the radio or put a size fourteen boot in the mouth of the talkin' idiot on the television.


"The Lord is my light and my salvation— whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life— of whom shall I be afraid? When the wicked advance against me to devour me, it is my enemies and my foes who will stumble and fall. Though an army besiege me, my heart will not fear; though war break out against me, even then I will be confident." ~Psalm 27:1-3


My American freedoms, ideals, and dreams have been feelin' a might besieged lately. I read about how they train elephants for the circus... they chain them to a stake so they can't really move much... sounds pretty cruel, I know.  After a few years, they unchain the critters who are so used to being chained up, they don't even try to run or break free.  I'm startin' to think that there's a whole lot'o folks who have been chained to the government for so long, they don't even think about makin' a run for it or breaking free.


The Constitution doesn't give us our freedoms, but it was something our forefathers designed to protect our freedoms. There's been a lot of brave folks and blood used to protect those freedoms over the years, yet so many in this country seem to be ready to forego their freedoms of a little illusion of comfort provided by the government on a borrowed dime.  At some point I believe that will end when there are no more dimes to borrow or when the dime ain't worth a penny.  At that point, the only thing that will remain are those God-given freedoms that we'll have to protect with a lot of brave folks and  blood again.


"Trust in the Lord and do good; dwell in the land and enjoy safe pasture."
~Psalm 37:3

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."
~Thomas Jefferson

"True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else."
~Clarence Darrow


I know some folks are struggling these days... and some face their trials bravely. Brigid has a lot to face with her brother and father fightin' cancer... and I have friends fightin' to keep a plate of food on the table. I don't think anyone who appreciates and loves God, Gals, Guns, or Grub as much as I do can sit this fight out.  So do what you need to do , but do it honorably and doing nothin' is not an option anymore.

And that's what I was thinkin' about... On a cold, Sunday afternoon...

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the Scriptures.
    Sometimes in the face of all the crap being blasted at me from the Politicians, the Media and the Banks... I forget those most Faithful of Promises.
    Thanks for the Reminder.

    -Steve Ronin

    ReplyDelete