Saturday, March 30, 2019

Guys... don't box yourselves in.

Sometimes, you just can't make stuff up that's as dumb as reality. I recently saw a man in a public restroom set his pistol on the top of the urinal while he relieved himself. Now before you think or say you'd never be that dumb... would you use a wall-mounted urinal in a public restroom in the first place? Guys... don't box yourselves in.


I honestly can't remember the last time I used a wall-mounted urinal in a public restroom. It's also been six years since I posted about concealed carry and public restrooms, so maybe it's time to touch base on a few tips to consider when you're leaving yourself more vulnerable doing your business in such a private, transitional space as a public restroom.

So here are some recommendations and tips, in no particular order, for using a public restroom while carrying a concealed gun:
  • Practice at home. Before you head out, try your gear and set-up at home in the bathroom. If you can safely do so... do some dry-fire practice... accessing your gun while "doing your business" in the bathroom at home.
  • Practice pulling your pants up with your unloaded gun still holstered and attached to your belt. 
  • Use the stall, not the urinal. The urinal leaves your back to any potential threats and you're boxed in with no easy escape routes. I prefer to use the stall farthest from the entry door to the restroom, and in a corner if possible to minimize avenues of threats.
  • Leave your gun holstered and attached to your belt... even if it's down around your ankles. 
  • AIWB (appendix inside-waist-band)... or what we used to call one o'clock or belly-carry position in the old days... or a forward, strong-side hip-carry... work well when using the restroom for me.
  • If you can't do your business with the gun holstered and attached to your belt, then leave the gun in the holster and remove the holstered gun. Set it safely and securely in your pants between your legs... always being mindful of where the muzzle is pointing.
  • Don't set it on the back of the toilet or toilet-paper holder, you might forget it. You won't do that if it's still attached to your belt or you set it in your pants between your legs.
What tips and thoughts do you have to share? Just remember... Guys... don't box yourselves in.




4 comments:

  1. "I prefer to use the stall farthest from the entry door to the restroom, and in a corner if possible to minimize avenues of threats."

    That's boxing yourself in too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I carried as an LEO. When I used the John, I would put the pistol on my underwear as my pants were down around my ankles. Readily available. Always used the stall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At first I thought I'd say something 'smarty' to Jeff about his comment...

    then...
    I thought for a moment (seek first to Understand before trying to be Understood) and I tried on Jeff's POV.

    SON-OF-A-GUN!!!

    BTW, that's where I park(ed) in RR, too 4G!
    I'm rethinking it now ('not fer sure yet... new investigation begun though).

    Would it make sense to try for the Center-ish stall???
    I wouldn't be 'backed into a Corner' as it were.

    When I fight my way out I can
    Go 1 of 3 directions,
    insteada
    Go 1 of JUST 2 directions?

    'Course then again...

    Threats can
    Come from 1,2 and/or 3 of 3 directions
    insteada
    1 and/or 2 of JUST 2 directions???

    'Calls for further investigation methinks.
    Delivery notwithstanding, Jeff is right and
    I thank THE BOTH OF YOU for taking the time to share your Insights/Training/Experience...

    Good Stuff Fellas!
    'Bet you're fast on your feet too!
    I ALWAYS learn when new-to-me and good Fighters
    Get In The Stack!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My last force on force training session included being attacked in a stall. Trust me,,, NO ROOM TO MOVE REALLY SUCKS. The very first thing I will be doing if attacked in a stall is getting out of the darn thing,,, or shall I say attempting to.
    Based on that vital experience, I'll stand at the urinal I think. YMMV

    ReplyDelete